Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bulky Items


We'll it's official....Bulky Item pick-up is by appointment only now. For those of you who don't know Bulky Item pick-up is basically the trash truck with a claw on it and it would come on the eighth day of every even month without fail. That's when an unofficial, but yet official, contest would take place between my neighbor and myself to see whose junk got taken first. Because let's face it that's how I would look at what I put out there until one day I saw that all my neighbors stuff was getting taken away. And not by the claw truck!

There are people who actually come out in their cars and trucks to canvas the neighborhood for items put out that we may consider unworthy but others see as treasure. That's when the contest started......

Now let me throw a bone out there by saying my neighbors are updating their home so they have items like fencing and cabinets and tile so they had some good stuff.

I, on the other hand, have stuff like....broken toys, a pool with holes in it, need I say more....but I was starting to get a little upset that my stuff wasn't getting picked over. That's when I started looking around and well that's when the contest started. My neighbor would take out a mirror and I would haul out a chair. Perhaps my neighbor would take out a piece of wood and I would haul out a desk. You see where this is going?

I was actually getting a kick out of this little game and now it has come to an end with a postcard that says:

1. Effective September 1, 2008 Large item collection services will change to an appointment based system."

WHAT!

2. Appointments must be made at least 48 hours in advance.

WHAT!!!!!!

3. Collections will not be made without an appointment."

WHAT, WHAT, WHAT?

My saint of a husband says I need to play a new game......who has a better lawn perhaps? I see mowing in my future.....


No comments: